Sunday, October 18, 2020

Despite my aide-dependent autism, I am a passionate web developer with a Ph. D. in physics from UC Davis, which I was able to earn because I had full-time protective supervision. While a graduate student researcher, my favorite part of the job was using my coding skills. When I graduated, I realized that I would rather be a software developer than an experimental physicist. I am currently developing and maintaining the website for Progressive Employment Concepts (PEC), an agency that opens doors to meaningful community and employment participation for adults with developmental disabilities. In addition to my work at PEC, I have volunteered as a web developer for the Yolo Interfaith Immigration Network (YIIN) and the nonprofit organization UPchieve.

In addition to maintaining and developing websites, I advocate for needed public education about Autism, especially on behalf of those of us with aide-requiring functional limitations, as well as how other medical conditions commonly co-occurring can interact with autism in a way that restricts our opportunities for full time employment.

With assistance ("supports"), I participated in the UC Davis MIND Institute's ACCESS Program. I also am a member of the Neurodiversity advocacy groups Yolo People First (YPF) and AASCEND. With support from Supported Life Institute (SLI), some friends and I co-founded "College Students and Professionals with Disabilities (CS&PD)". Our project went on to receive a grant from the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) that funded the "Success in College Program". Please take the time to learn about the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD), UC Davis MIND Institute and other agencies helping people like me. Thanks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts